Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Is it April Already?

Wow, time is flying and I have been creating and decorating up a storm. Unfortunately I have been so busy crafting that I haven't had time for blogging. Well this week I'll be catching up on blog posts and catching you up on a few recent home improvement projects, all the fun I had planning my daughter's birthday party, my weekly submission to the Iron Craft challenge, and more.

Its Wednesday, which means its time to post my Iron Craft submission. This week's challenge, "use peeps as your medium" was tough. I have been wanting to enter this contest for ages, and totally missed the deadline this year - I won't next year. I didn't have time for something quite that elaborate so I went to CVS looking for peeps and inspiration for a simple but cool peep project. After finding a bunch of green peeps and remembering that I had a foam ball, a dowel, and polka dotted flower pots from another project; I decided to make a peep topiary.


How hard could it be? Stick ball on top of dowel, use tooth pics to attach peeps to ball, stick ball in pot filled
with floral foam, wrap dowel with ribbon, line top of pot with paper disk (just a circle of paper cut to fit around dowel on top of floral foam0, top off pot with M and Ms. Yeah, thats not exactly how it all went down. Peeps don't like to be stuck. They kept sliding off the tooth picks and their sugary coating was EVERYWHERE. I managed to get them all stuck for the photograph (an hour or so after I started sticking peeps on tooth picks), but I will be needing a better solution if I want it to last until Easter. Suggestions?

Check out all of the other Iron Craft peep projects here.

10 comments:

kat said...

If you don't care about eating them I wonder if Tacky Glue would work?

Anonymous said...

What about using some candy melts or chocolate as your glue? dip the tooth pick into the chocolate then skewer it and allow to dry/harden before sticking them into the foam ball. By the time you finished the last peep skewer, you'd be ready to stick the first into the foam ball.
-Amy W.

Susan said...

let them dry out first and use toothpicks to push them into the styrofoam ball.

Anonymous said...

If you don't need to eat them, hot glue holds Peeps very nicely. (More proof that they aren't real food, I guess.)

Anonymous said...

Maybe a few seconds in the microwave would melt them just enough to make them self-stick?

Suzanne in TX said...

This is so adorable! I don't have a helpful suggestion, but I would LOVE to know the name of the fabric you have on the table--it would make really cute dog collars I think.
Suzanne in TX
www.crazyforcollars.etsy.com

Janet said...

Royal Icing. It's edible and will make it last as long as needed.

Elliot's Mom said...

Thank you for all of the suggestions! I am going to try the icing and chocolate ideas next time. My mom has already placed an order for next Easter :)

Suzanne, I wish I knew the name of the fabric. Its a table cloth that my grandmother made about 30 years ago.

Michael said...

wonder if T-pins would work?

Pam said...

Found that T-Pins work really well on fresh peeps.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails