Friday, December 6, 2013

Craftaholics Gift Exchange 2013

For the past three years I've participated in the Craftaholics Anonymous Handmade Gift Exchange. Basically you make something for someone (assigned to you by Linda, the blog administrator) and some one else makes something for you. You end up with a fun craft gift from a stranger who shares your love of all things crafty. In years past I've made and gifted a makeup brush holder, a tote bag, and handmade stationary.

This year I wanted to make something I've never made before. I picked up some really cute retro looking laminated cotton at a local fabric store, brought it home, stared at it for while, then searched Pinterest until inspiration struck. I knew that my giftee likes to cook and is a mom to three kids. I saw a pin for reusable bowl covers and decided to make my own.

To make them I:
  1. Traced the tops of a few bowls (all different sizes) 
  2. Used a compass to draw a larger second circle around my traced circle (+4" diameter) 
  3. Cut out my circles (cut along edge of second circle - not the traced circle) 
  4. Sewed a channel around each circle making sure it was wide enough to thread elastic through (approximately 3/4") 
  5. Threaded my elastic, tied it off, and sewed closed the channel opening. 



I even made a little bag for them. I have ordered some more laminated cotton fabric to make a few more for as gifts for friends and family. Please act surprised if your receive a set. I'll try to post a more detailed tutorial for those of you who are not experienced sewers in the next couple of weeks. 

1 comment:

Maude Moxie said...

Super great idea! I have some large scraps from a picnic blanket in a pillow project... Thank you for helping me to stop staring and sew!
Maude Moxie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails